UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF
UK Fishing Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeder fishing

+3
tackle tart
nixon
Stotty
7 posters

Go down

Feeder fishing Empty Feeder fishing

Post by Stotty Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:20 am

Feeder fishing

Feeder fishing Picture281

Well I thought I would do a bit on this as it is still a great love of my life. I do joke about pike angling but the people that know me and fish with me know I love all fishing, but this is still one of the greatest forms of the sport and feeder fishing on a river or large pits still gets my juices going. It is often overlooked, quivertipping is a great method to add some heart-stopping excitement and give you an extra fish some times when the big guns are not hitting there targets.

So how hard is it well there is no float no alarms The rod itself becomes the bite indicator as each tiny twitch or quiver of the tip tells the experienced angler precisely what is going on beneath the surface of the water and in the summer the shear whip rounds you get from carp is just brutal. I know of one angler here that has taken a swim to get his rod back, and I know of another that caught the end of the rod before it went in. and they both work with me. Innocent Whistle

A quivertip rod can be anything between 9-13 feet long and often has up to 4 interchangeable tips. Made usually of carbon fiber not doing any plugging here but if you want a good all round rod I must say the Drennan Series 7 is a good one and there will be some thing in the range to cover you angling needs i have the 9ft 6in-11ft Carp Feeder one as i can use it as a 9ft or a 11ft 2 rods for the price of one Wink

They come in all shapes and sizes. Shorter rods are used to fish with a small bomb or other lead weight at fairly short range. Rods up to 13’ long are better suited to fishing with a swimfeeder or heavier weight at greater range, and then the ‘Method’ rod is designed to cast a large heavy ball of feed containing the hooklink up to 100 yards.

See the method thread

As I said you get a selection of push in tips each ‘push in’ tip gives you some flexibility with the style of fishing / fish you’re after. A 1oz tip is the most sensitive and is ideal for short/medium range or small species fishing with light lines (3-4lbs). 2oz tips can be used with 5-8lb lines at greater distance and the 3oz tip is frequently used to provide bite indication when fishing a method feeder that’s why you need the 8lb line.

Rod position on the bank is vital to spotting bites; the mainline should be at an angle somewhere around 80-120 degrees from the rod tip. Aligning the rod near the bank, and providing just a couple of degrees of deflection on the tip by tightening the line slightly, means that the angler can see if the bait is moved. If the fish moves away, then the tip will move towards the water; if the fish moves towards the angler, then the tip will drop back. However, on fast-moving rivers the idea is to use as little weight as you can so it holds stationary on the bottom. To achieve this you need to have the rod tip high, thus bringing as much line as possible out of the flow. The whole idea is that when a fish picks up the weight, it dislodges the feeder and the tip bounces back on a slack line. There’s no need to strike as the fish will have hooked itself as the feeder moved downstream in the flow.

The whole idea when fishing is to create a tight area of food out of range of the pole anglers well that’s my idea of it.
In order to do this you need to make sure you are continually casting to the same mark so that the feeder hits the bottom in more or less the same place every time. You need to use the line clip on your reel to do this. Once you are happy with the distance, simply wrap the line around the clip on the spool before winding it in. Then cast to the clip every time, ensuring the exact same distance The other trick to keeping the feed tight is to pick a far bank marker a tree a building and aim for that every time. So now you have direction and distance sorted.

This is vital when feeder fishing on stillwaters. If the line is allowed to float it gets affected by surface tow and cross winds, and it’s impossible to see delicate bites register. A 50:50 mix of washing-up liquid and water. Just rub this well into the spool before you start and it should last a couple of hours Darren’s little trick.

There is a load of ways of putting feeder on and a load of types of feeders .....

a few listed below

Feeder fishing TCF---Groundbait-Feeders-01

I use the 2nd one down for the bulk of my feeder fishing

get a rod and get out there and do a bit

Feeder fishing Picture261

and its not just a small fish method..
Feeder fishing Picture089-2

you will love it.

Feeder fishing Picture133-1

Stotty.....
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

Back to top Go down

Feeder fishing Empty Re: Feeder fishing

Post by nixon Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:30 am

Great method of fishing, relatively simple to set-up,and not a great deal of gear and bait is needed for a good session.
Top job Mr Stott Superman
nixon
nixon
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 4976
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:48 am

nixon wrote:Great method of fishing, relatively simple to set-up,and not a great deal of gear and bait is needed for a good session.
Top job Mr Stott Superman

you like a bit of feeder fishing dont you Wink

Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tackle tart Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:38 am

nice write up stotty
i love my feeder fishing, i too use the second fishing it in a loop

tackle tart
A Top UKFF Member !
A Top UKFF Member !

Male
Number of posts : 1601
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:45 am

Thanks Kevin,

Please feel free to add any stuff ground bait mix different techniques, you know me more eloquent than literate Head Bang I get these ideas in my head then try to get them down on paper or text it can some times come out a bit ass about face Fish Slap .
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tackle tart Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:53 am

blimey adding ground bait mixes could take ages there are so many different types for us angler to use .and every angler has there own ways of doing it Wink

its a good write up indeed but i,ll have another read through to see if it can be added to

its funny that cause i get idea,s of global domination but it doesn,t turn out the way i want it either LMAO

tackle tart
A Top UKFF Member !
A Top UKFF Member !

Male
Number of posts : 1601
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:29 am

Feeder fishing 61dwrgxs6vlss500-f31tedzl
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by blower Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:05 pm

i use the loop method too, and will be doing so on sunday down the soar. ( if those ba***rd poachers have f**king left any pissed off Shooting 2 )
blower
blower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Male
Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2009-06-07
My Bait : this season i will mostly be using MAGGOTS

Back to top Go down

Post by naquant Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:06 am

wow great info, thought u could only catch tiddlers lol
naquant
naquant

Male
Number of posts : 2082
Registration date : 2009-12-23
My Bait : tiger nut boilies, cell, pellet, bread and fake baits

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:41 am

naquant wrote:wow great info, thought u could only catch tiddlers lol

had carp to 18lb on it Wink
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by naquant Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:28 am

wow, is it a good method for tench fising???
naquant
naquant

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by edbeef Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:33 am

Yep, I have had most tench on a feeder rod. And their tail means they'll give you a good scrap too!

I love having a 4lb+ carp/tench on a feeder, can go all day with one if it's determined!
edbeef
edbeef
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male
Number of posts : 3950
Registration date : 2009-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sardarel Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:47 am

Stotty wrote:
naquant wrote:wow great info, thought u could only catch tiddlers lol

had carp to 18lb on it Wink

I have caught carp to over 20lb on 6lb line and carp to mid doubles on 4lb line...
sardarel
sardarel
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 4450
Registration date : 2008-11-17
My Bait : anything TURKISH...!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by naquant Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:37 am

yh i hav had as 13lb on 4lb line, it is amazing how muh of a fight theyput up lol
naquant
naquant

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down