UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF
UK Fishing Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

storing boilies/pellets etc

5 posters

Go down

storing boilies/pellets etc Empty storing boilies/pellets etc

Post by joel Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:26 pm

i'm a bit worried bout how i should keep my boilies & pellets inbetween trips.I take what i need out the bags & keep the opened bags in a stroage box.I keep boilies in sealed freezer bags in my bucket for trips out.Now with all those strong flavours in the same closed bucket & storage box,will the flavours leak into other less powerfully flavoured baits.Like i have at the mo amber strawberry & tutti fruitti in with spicy prawn & red robin.Also in october when i put the carp stuff away in favour of pike fishing,will they keep through to next spring.
joel
joel

Male
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

storing boilies/pellets etc Empty Re: storing boilies/pellets etc

Post by sardarel Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:34 pm

all my boilies are frozen .. so that's storage of them taken care of.

as for pellets.. I probably have 30-40kg in total of various types and keep them separated.. except for my bits bucket....

Everyone should have a bits bucket.. Something I have Stotty to thank really.. but on its day can be deadly... so many different flavoured and sized bits n bobs that get bagged and work really well ..

s long as your pellets are stored in air tight containers your pellets will only slightly deteriorate ... and they must be dry...
sardarel
sardarel
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 4450
Registration date : 2008-11-17
My Bait : anything TURKISH...!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:58 am

sardarel wrote:all my boilies are frozen .. so that's storage of them taken care of.

as for pellets.. I probably have 30-40kg in total of various types and keep them separated.. except for my bits bucket....

Everyone should have a bits bucket.. Something I have Stotty to thank really.. but on its day can be deadly... so many different flavoured and sized bits n bobs that get bagged and work really well ..

s long as your pellets are stored in air tight containers your pellets will only slightly deteriorate ... and they must be dry...

Its funny as you know when people were throwing in there last dregs of pellet at the end of the day I used to be collecting it as Darren said when fishing PVA the different size shape colours and flavours I think make the fish just grub about and Hoover the lot up they cant be picky this way, it has got me a lot of runs where people fishing single brands of pellet have had a lot less.

The only disadvantage with the mix bucket is you can’t catapult it as loose feed as the different sizes and weights means it goes different distances.
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

Back to top Go down

Post by Dando Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:58 am

sardarel wrote:all my boilies are frozen .. so that's storage of them taken care of.

My baits are also frozen so they have there own separate bags and whacked in the freezer i have about 20kg of pellet which is stored in sealed buckets and i also have a "Bit's Bucket" for all my odds and ends which get's thrown in when there's anything left over from a session.
Dando
Dando
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 4234
Registration date : 2008-03-03
My Bait : CC Moores & Sticky Baits

https://ukfishingforums.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:04 am

Just be careful not to leave pellets in the back of the car as heat makes them go rancid pretty quickly, you will not know that but fish can tell the differance Wink
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 8009
Registration date : 2008-03-14
My Bait : Anything but savage gear shite!

Back to top Go down

Post by joel Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:30 pm

i dried some freezer boilies out in my air dry bag over 3 days...they're now has hard has rock.I mean i can stand on em wi out em breaking.Are they now useless or will carp still take em.
joel
joel

Male
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:14 am

I will also add storing boilies at temperatures higher than 0 degrees F increases the rate at which deterioration takes place and shortens the shelf-life of frozen baits significantly.

What are recommended storage times? Well the big boys suggest the recommended storage time for HNV/food boilies is a maximum of 12 months. This is the recommended storage time for some of the ingredients used in boilies, including eggs. BUT note! however, that this does not mean you need to throw any boilies out of your freezer that have been there for more than twelve months! Recommended storage time is the time in which the boilie should be used to ensure maximum quality.
It is important to bear in mind that freezing does not improve the quality of the boiled bait; frozen boilies are only as good as the quality of the fresh bait. It is important to only take out what yyou want and use them rather than take the bag out with you re freez take it out freez etc...........

as for air dried boilies they can be brought back to life by simple rehydration one of the best things is oily water from freshly cooked hemp or evn glug they soake it up like no other
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content