UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF
UK Fishing Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locating Winter Pike?

+2
NIDGE MAC
richcherr
6 posters

Go down

Locating Winter Pike? Empty Locating Winter Pike?

Post by richcherr Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:20 am

Hello All,

i fancy trying some winter piking on a smallish reservoir in Derbyshire. the water contains coarse fish and trout etc. are there any hard and fast rules about locating pike or is it just a case of looking for 'pikey' spots?

would it be a good idea in the first instance to take a roaming approach with a deadbait float rig and cover as much water as possible?

cheers

rich c
richcherr
richcherr
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down

Locating Winter Pike? Empty Re: Locating Winter Pike?

Post by NIDGE MAC Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:40 am

I wish piking was that easy,
I,m no expert, And it all depends on the water and on the setups you going to use,
I mainly use deadbait but now and again use lives,
my approach is to have a bait roving with the glider float, i also place a bait out at range and one in close,
locating them from pikey looking areas works better on rivers and canals, although ive had one or two from still waters using that approach.
I,m sure the more experienced pikers will have a better method...
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 7362
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : GETTING OUT IF AND WHEN POSSIBLE...

Back to top Go down

Post by richcherr Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:46 am

cheers Nidge, it was never going to be easy...we are having a busy day on here mate Wink
richcherr
richcherr
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NIDGE MAC Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:50 am

I wish i was busy fishing!!!!
Maybe try and get out piking tomorrow, if i feel any better pale bloody allsorts of virus/colds going about.
i know its not the pig flu... lol!
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 7362
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : GETTING OUT IF AND WHEN POSSIBLE...

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:06 am

Nidge has got it spot on, fish deads on a pair of rods, one rod at 40 yards and one sat close in, the best feature on most ressies is the margin so it would be barmy not to have on in close especially at the end of the day when the light starts to fade because this is when the better fish come on the feed.
Depth can be an issue on some ressie because they tend to be very deep at one end (The dam wall) and shallow at the other end whuch is sometimes a water inlet, both areas are features so give them a go. Dont be scared of taking a lure rod aswell, even a follow from a Pike is enough to give you an area to fish Wink
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 8009
Registration date : 2008-03-14
My Bait : Anything but savage gear shite!

Back to top Go down

Post by richcherr Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:51 am

great stuff, thanks lads.
richcherr
richcherr
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chief Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:25 pm

the only thing i would add is, if your on a large water i would try to break it up into sections theres no point trying to tackle it all in one day and rushing around. break it up and concentraite on each section at a time, you may find different areas fish well at different times of year etc so dont dismiss a spot just because it doesnt produce on day one.
chief
chief
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male
Number of posts : 2250
Registration date : 2009-10-17
My Bait : Squirrley Burt - its Squirrley!

Back to top Go down

Post by richcherr Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:23 am

cheers Chief!
richcherr
richcherr
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KildareJon Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:04 pm

richcherr wrote:Hello All,

i fancy trying some winter piking on a smallish reservoir in Derbyshire. the water contains coarse fish and trout etc. are there any hard and fast rules about locating pike or is it just a case of looking for 'pikey' spots?

would it be a good idea in the first instance to take a roaming approach with a deadbait float rig and cover as much water as possible?

cheers

rich c

Locating Pike on large'ish waters like reservoirs in winter is never easy unless you have a small boat and a fish-finder, then it's quite easy. All you have to do is locate the small fish shoals like the roach or rudd which tend to shoal up in large numbers in winter, seemingly there's safety in no.s or so they think...lol. Once you find a large shoal of silvers, the pike are never far away. By all means start looking in the obvious "pikey spots" like stream inlets, deep holes or contours of the bottom, ledges or drop-offs, sudden changes in depth, locations of large summer-time reedbeds are also good spots to try but finding the bait fish is more important than finding features in my opinion, especially in winter. A drift-float set-up is also a very good way of searching a big water from the bank but make sure you use a floating braid of min 30lb bs. Floating because, with the distance involved in drift-floating, you will be able to pick line up much quicker from the surface when winding down on the take. A big capacity reel is a must for drift-floating. At this time of year, lures can still be a deadly way of attracting pike and an easy way to cover more water but as the water temps drop as we get further into winter, they will become less effective and "deads" will come into their own, we don't use live-bait in Ireland as it's not permitted... Wink
KildareJon
KildareJon
Noobie
Noobie

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by richcherr Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:35 pm

thanks Jon, good advice mate.

i havent really started my piking campaign in earnest yet. tried an estate lake last week but there was too much weed about for what i had planned. the temperatures are really starting to drop now so i will be giving it a proper go soon.

i was planning to go to a local stretch of the canal for some spinning / wobbling but to my amazement i have learned that a well-publicized pike cull a few months ago actually took place on the stretch i planned to fish....up to 150 pike up to 18lbs killed to protect match fishing stocks...crazy
richcherr
richcherr
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:39 pm

richcherr wrote:thanks Jon, good advice mate.

i havent really started my piking campaign in earnest yet. tried an estate lake last week but there was too much weed about for what i had planned. the temperatures are really starting to drop now so i will be giving it a proper go soon.

i was planning to go to a local stretch of the canal for some spinning / wobbling but to my amazement i have learned that a well-publicized pike cull a few months ago actually took place on the stretch i planned to fish....up to 150 pike up to 18lbs killed to protect match fishing stocks...crazy

It should be made a criminal offense to get rid of Pike in that way! There are plenty of waters that would benefit from a few more Pike.
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 4421
Registration date : 2009-07-01
My Bait : Bread and lots of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by richcherr Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:49 pm

i still dont understand how and why stretches of canal are stocked with fish (carp etc. the reason for the cull). even if money is spent on creating an environment to hold the fish, and bait regularly goes in there cant be any assurance that the fish will stay in that stretch?
richcherr
richcherr
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Its a sad fact that even in modern times, humans still like to mess with nature and carry out pointless culls that will only result in a jack boom in about 12-24 months time Suspect
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 8009
Registration date : 2008-03-14
My Bait : Anything but savage gear shite!

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:55 pm

That's right, and the Carp will bully all the other species away anyway. That's what happened on the GUC years ago when Carp were dumped in it. What were once prolific mixed fisheries became nothing more than stew ponds full of Carp. So it seems the matchmen are really Carp anglers in disguise, lol.
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 4421
Registration date : 2009-07-01
My Bait : Bread and lots of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down