UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF
UK Fishing Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Caster

4 posters

Go down

The Caster Empty The Caster

Post by longshot Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:29 am

The Caster Puparia

The Caster is the final stage that the maggot reaches before it becomes a fly. Casters can be used throughout the year. They are perhaps best known as a Roach bait but they are also an excellent Carp and Barbel bait and used in conjunction with Hempseed can be deadly. Many anglers consider Casters to be the best winter Roach bait ever! The darker the caster is, the more buoyant it becomes, so use this to your advantage by picking a darker caster to balance out the weight of the hook, making the hooked caster fall through the water at the same rate as any free samples. But I do use the lighter coloured ones as they sink faster, and are better for fishing on the bottom where they are more visible than the dark ones.
A good way of presenting your caster is to embed the hook completely inside the caster, this way the hook doesn't show which help's in a couple of way's. 1, you don't get any weed on the hook. 2, the fish wont spook by seeing the hook, and also the caster is soft enough once pierced that when the fish mouths it the hook goes though the caster and hooks the fish, obviously you need to use hooks small enough to fit inside the caster 14's 16's 18's are ideal.
One thing to remember when using casters is that they should be kept wet all the time. This stops them from becoming floaters.

The Caster Double_caster
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 4421
Registration date : 2009-07-01
My Bait : Bread and lots of it.

Back to top Go down

The Caster Empty Re: The Caster

Post by Stotty Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:39 am

nice one Ken put some picks on it as well.

Also if your getting problems with super small fish caster imitation a great item Made from buoyant rubber compound, they are soft enough to use directly on a hook, or a hair rig. They can be used singularly, in combination with other baits, or in multiples on a hair rig.
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

Back to top Go down

Post by mark Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:34 pm

i do love a caster too except for when i find them alover my celler floor which happened recently n now i have bluebottle everywhere........again Arrgh !
mark
mark
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male
Number of posts : 3149
Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:35 pm

Lol. That'll teach you.
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 4421
Registration date : 2009-07-01
My Bait : Bread and lots of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by edbeef Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:20 pm

mark wrote:i do love a caster too except for when i find them alover my celler floor which happened recently n now i have bluebottle everywhere........again Arrgh !

I remember you telling me about them down the cracks in the car - never laughed as hard in all my life!
edbeef
edbeef
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male
Number of posts : 3950
Registration date : 2009-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mark Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:51 am

edbeef wrote:
mark wrote:i do love a caster too except for when i find them alover my celler floor which happened recently n now i have bluebottle everywhere........again Arrgh !

I remember you telling me about them down the cracks in the car - never laughed as hard in all my life!
that was embarassing. everytime i opened the dorrs a swarm of bluebottles flew out haha it funny now but it was a nightmare at the time
mark
mark
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male
Number of posts : 3149
Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down