UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF
UK Fishing Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT THE H£%L IS HE ON ABOUT???

+2
Woodchucker
manxnorton
6 posters

Go down

WHAT THE H£%L IS HE ON ABOUT??? Empty WHAT THE H£%L IS HE ON ABOUT???

Post by manxnorton Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:53 am

Hello guys,
as ya prob noticed i've asked a few questions about trying my hand at catching pike.
My work m8 is an experienced pike angler so off he goes into a 'TAKE HEART' 20 minute routine of what rigs i should use.
All well n good if he told me what it was called and exactly what the componants were so i could buy them complete or make my own.
After copius ammounts of pretending to the boss i was grafting my bits off i sneaked onto GOOGLE and i have come up with the following link on what rigs he was on about.

http://www.esox.co.uk/paternosterfloatleger/index.htm

Please could you experts have a look and let me know exactly what each componant is called and where the best place is to buy them (complete rig if necessary).
i would like to make my own so i'd be going with 15lb main line.
Hooks i will do a search as i might want to go for sizes 4-6 or 8 do they so semi barbed? once again what make would be great.
looking 4ward to your replies.
thanks for looking
Bri
manxnorton
manxnorton
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

WHAT THE H£%L IS HE ON ABOUT??? Empty Re: WHAT THE H£%L IS HE ON ABOUT???

Post by Woodchucker Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:49 am

Brian, It all depends on the venue that you are fishing on to which rig you choose. I tend to 50% Straight Ledger and 50% Float Ledger. I will use the straight ledger when fishing at distance from the bank especailly when its deep water and also in very shallow water close in. I use Float ledgering from the boat because I cant use bite alarms from a boat so the float is used for indication, float ledgering is also ideal in flowing water ie rivers because you tend to be fishing with less gear and the extra bank sticks and alarms make straight ledgering a pain. As far as traces go I would stick to size 6 semi barbed when you getting use to fishing for Pike as it makes unhooking a doddle.

PS Leave float paternostering for when you have a bit more experiance under your belt because they have to be set perfectly otherwise you will deep hook Pike.
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 8009
My Bait : Anything but savage gear shite!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dando Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:37 am

I quite like the Pato-banton rig (fixed paternoster rig) me and woody got to use it first hand whilst fishing on the fens for zander but as Ady has pointed out i would also advise you to leave it until you have more experience pike angling isn't like carp fishing or bit bashing as ferocious as they may seem there actually quite fragile and you can harm them if handled improper and also not to mention that there teeth will also hurt you.

Enough of the lecture i think Brian the best thing you could do is go out with your mate who's experienced and get a feel for handling these fish once your comfortable with what your doing then move onto different methods of capture Wink
Dando
Dando
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 4234
Registration date : 2008-03-03
My Bait : CC Moores & Sticky Baits

https://ukfishingforums.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NIDGE MAC Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:51 am

Enough said from the guys above..... Respect and rep left for the pair of you.....
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 7362
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : GETTING OUT IF AND WHEN POSSIBLE...

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:17 pm

dont ignore some of the simplest methods a free roaming bait fresher cough cough the better jst make sure your line is floating
get onto the PAC site for some simple easy to use rigs

as for the float pat if you use a second bottom end only float above the sunk float then you cant fail to have it set up right, mind you as much as i lke floats if your using a multi rod set up floats are useless as you cant watch them all the time, as such they are then more a liability rather than an aid
noodle
noodle
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-24
My Bait : bit of painted wood

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manxnorton Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:46 pm

thanks guys but now can you see my head is more mashed.......i hear big time what you's are saying, so please show me a simple rig that i can start with.............i understand and have looked n looked at all sorts on here but very confusing when people say don't use this use that, especially when i dont have scoobies what a 'That' is let alone get a grip with a 'This'...
ok im confused switching off the pc and not going back on ever again...........................

Head Bang
manxnorton
manxnorton
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by manxnorton Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:47 pm

well til i'm at work tomorrow at least...
thanks guys appreciate your help.
Brian
manxnorton
manxnorton
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tattygun Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:43 am

what sort of waters are you fishing?
most of my stillwater fishing i use a simple sliding float set up

tight a stopknot onto your line, don't cut down the tags of line that are left they will cast throught the rings on the rod easier
thread on a small bead
use a float such as this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Drennan-Zeppler-Pike-Float-20grm-/300467599563?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item45f543b8cb#ht_994wt_754

thread the line through the float then use one of these (buy the right size weight for the floats you use of course)

http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/fox_kwik_change_egg_sinkers_-_pike_fishing_tackle.html

tie you line to your trace and push the silicone tube on the sinker over the swivel on the trace (the sinkers have instructions on the pack)

cast the float about to get the right depth the sinker acts as a plummet to a point if you floats isn't cocking right then you fishing too deep so adjust the stop knot until the float cocks with this method you can fish the bait on the bottom or suspended and allowed to drift

tattygun
tattygun
A Top UKFF Member !
A Top UKFF Member !

Male
Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by manxnorton Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Tatty ya a good marra,
Rep gone out to you.
so ya saying 20gm float? what size Egg sinker? how do ya work the float/sinker ratio out?
al invest in the bits n bobs pal.
what about trace set up pal?? lb of line hook make etc. lengths blah blah blah
sorry m8
Bri
manxnorton
manxnorton
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tattygun Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:19 pm

manxnorton wrote:Tatty ya a good marra,
Rep gone out to you.
so ya saying 20gm float? what size Egg sinker? how do ya work the float/sinker ratio out?
al invest in the bits n bobs pal.
what about trace set up pal?? lb of line hook make etc. lengths blah blah blah
sorry m8
Bri

size of float is dependant on the swim and conditions on the day and weight of bait

so if it was shallow canal, the water calm and you were using a single sprat - small float
deep, windy gravel pit, with a big bait - large float

get a selection of sizes and a selection of weights, the beauty of those weights is you can change them without re rigging so you'll soon get the hang of it

traces are a personal thing i do my own i use fox carboflex wire, crimps and the fox xs trebles in 4's and 6's
its easier to start with ready tied ones though fox do some good ones as do drennan

anymore questions just ask
tattygun
tattygun
A Top UKFF Member !
A Top UKFF Member !

Male
Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by manxnorton Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:13 am

thanks m8,
got my trace kit bought, not bought any floats as yet might just wait til i go to the 'Candy Store' before i go fishing.
i got carboflex, crimps, crimp tool, size 6 greys semi barb trebles and sum of them pop up red ball thingies lol in medium.....damn just remembered i need swivels what size do ya reckon? and i need forceps.
thanks pal al letya know how i get on with my traces, hopefully as good as my Carp and sea rigs turned out.
thanks again,
Bri
manxnorton
manxnorton
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum