UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF
UK Fishing Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing

+4
Stotty
edbeef
nixon
chief
8 posters

Go down

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing Empty Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing

Post by chief Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:24 pm

one question that comes up often for beginers to lure fishing is which rod/reel/line/trace combo to use. i was in the shed today tidying up so i took some shots. this is how i set up, its a collection of set ups that i have put together over the last few years to cover all my lure fishing styles.

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing DSCF4043

from left to right

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing DSCF4045
This is my heavy jerkbait set up, Fox xs predator jerkbait rod 140g casting weight, abu 6501 c3, 80lb stren braid and a 90lb titanium trace from chico.

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing DSCF4046
Light jerkbait set up, Daiwa powermesh jerkbait 84g casting weight, abu 5601, 65lb power pro braid and a 90b titanium trace.

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing DSCF4048
My heaviest fixed spool set up, Wychwood Agitator lure 20-60g, Daiwa sweepfire 2500, at the moment braid less but it will have 30lb power pro and 30lb trace. this is a bck up set up after i purchased the mick brown.

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing DSCF4049
My frogging rod, Fox Mick Brown jiggin stick 20-50g casting weight, shakespeare mach 2, 30lb power pro, 30lb fox carboflex trace.
this is my second jiggin stick, i tipped the first so i bought the agitator above, when i found another of these i had to have it off scotty. much stiffer in the tip than the wychwood, needed to set the hooks when frogging(bring on the summer Wink )

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing DSCF4050
my light baitcaster set up for smaller crankbaits/spinnerbaits and light jerkbaits, Abu silver max rod 28g casting weight, Quantum responce baitcaster, 45lb power pro, 40lb carboflex trace.

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing DSCF4051
light spinning outfit, Quantum select "Bill Dance" rod 21g casting weight, shimano catanna 2500, 20lb power pro, 20lb fox easy twist trace.

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing DSCF4052
ultralight set up, Spro Passion ultralight rod 3-15g casting weight, spro 650 reel, 15lb stren, 15lb easy twist trace.

that just about covers all my lure fishing, feel free to ask questions or pull my gear to bits
chief
chief
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male
Number of posts : 2250
Registration date : 2009-10-17
My Bait : Squirrley Burt - its Squirrley!

Back to top Go down

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing Empty Re: Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing

Post by nixon Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:03 am

Nice collection.
I find the xs jerk rod a tad on the beefy side,great for big lures,but kinda takes the fun out of anything under a double. I use my Greys jerk rod,which is still rated the same as the Fox,but is a little bit more "tippy"
nixon
nixon
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 4976
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing Empty Re: Rods. Reels, and line for lure fishing

Post by edbeef Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:15 am

Still got the sivermax reel? Has it sorted itself out or is it still backwinding?

A good selection. I thought you had loads just just counted mine...

Less than you but still far too many lol!
edbeef
edbeef
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male
Number of posts : 3950
Registration date : 2009-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by chief Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:22 am

Tim, ye the xs is a bit too stiff tbh. i use the powermesh now for most of y jerkbaiting, but still use the xs for the real big jerkbaits/soft plastics and trolling th big cranks on the boat.

Ed, still got the reel its still backwinding? dont use it much now, thew quantum is better. its a collection i have built over the last 3 years as and when i needed to upgrade or try a new angle. still tinkering really, need to upgrade the 5601 to a better quality one and maybe add a single handed baitcasting kit for the light lures with a multi. no rush tho
chief
chief
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 am

I had a lovely one piece power-mesh lure rod. The it came into contact with BaitZones Marks ford mondeo front door then it was a 3 piece power-mesh lure rod Suspect

Nice collection though drunken
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 am

Have some rep for that pal, I personally will not be doing a thread like that because I am scared lol!
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 8009
Registration date : 2008-03-14
My Bait : Anything but savage gear shite!

Back to top Go down

Post by tattygun Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:49 am

Quite a collection!

I'll get some pics and add my own to this when I've chance.

How have you found the Stren? I've yet to break mine in over a years use, the best item of tackle I've ever bought. The stuff its opened up has to be seen to be believed! The latest? The big single hook on bulldawg as well as 2 points on a thick gauge mustad treble, all at the same time.
tattygun
tattygun
A Top UKFF Member !
A Top UKFF Member !

Male
Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by chief Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:24 am

tattygun wrote:Quite a collection!

I'll get some pics and add my own to this when I've chance.

How have you found the Stren? I've yet to break mine in over a years use, the best item of tackle I've ever bought. The stuff its opened up has to be seen to be believed! The latest? The big single hook on bulldawg as well as 2 points on a thick gauge mustad treble, all at the same time.

i really like the stren, it has very similar qualitys to power pro and can usually be picked up at a cheaper price. i am using both and tend to buy whic ever is the cheapest of the two when looking for a particular lb braid

thanks for the comments lads. there are one or two other lure rods knocking about that i dont use anymore. i think i have a problem!
chief
chief
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chief Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:00 pm

i'll get some shots of lures and tag them to the rods i would use with them. should give am idea of the size/weights im using with each set up.
chief
chief
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Scott Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:03 am

Woodchucker wrote:Have some rep for that pal, I personally will not be doing a thread like that because I am scared lol!

Was thinking exactly the same before reading your reply!

If I owned up it would either end in divorce or my house being robbed !!!

Andy Scott
Noobie
Noobie

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by chief Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:53 am

thats the troble with being a loomis fan mate Wink

i would never be able to afford the top of the range stuff in all the kits i want/need. i think the stuff i have is decent kit for the money i have paid out, and it works for me.

still wouldnt like the misuss to see this tho affraid
chief
chief
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nixon Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:32 am

I've just moved house...yet again. And the entire spare bedroom,which is 14ft square,is rammed full of my fishing gear. The cupboard in there is stuffed full of all my rods and guns.
The joy of being young and single king
nixon
nixon
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 4976
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:34 am

I'm well impressed! There must be something in this lure fishing lark after all. Nice collection Neil.
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 4421
Registration date : 2009-07-01
My Bait : Bread and lots of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by chief Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:32 pm

there is ken, empty pockerts lol.

tbh the biggest surprise in the gear above is the quantum stuff, very good quality but little known this side of the pond. its in the browning/Zebco family i think.
chief
chief
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:42 am

chief wrote:there is ken, empty pockerts lol.

tbh the biggest surprise in the gear above is the quantum stuff, very good quality but little known this side of the pond. its in the browning/Zebco family i think.

Gaz used to sell quantum stuff I think his carp rods and reels were quantum...
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 am

I use a Quantum landing net of Carp fishing. Had it for years, its spot on.
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 4421
Registration date : 2009-07-01
My Bait : Bread and lots of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down