UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF
UK Fishing Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thames fishing

4 posters

Go down

Thames fishing Empty Thames fishing

Post by George1994 Wed May 30, 2012 6:56 am

Hello everyone, first post :)

I was just wandering, being so close to open season 'n' all, what you guys in general think of the fishing in thames? I dont really target particular fish, just wanted to get an overview of what its like on the thames.

I'll be fishing anywhere between Staines/ Laleham and Kingston if this helps at all!

Cheers guys!
George1994
George1994

Male
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-05-30
My Bait : Whatever works on the day!

Back to top Go down

Thames fishing Empty Re: Thames fishing

Post by longshot Wed May 30, 2012 7:17 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. As a long time Thames angler I recommend you check out the T-A-C website through the link below. It'll offer a great deal of information on the mighty Thames. But don't forget to lets us know on here how you Thames adventures go.

http://t-a-c.actionboard.net/
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 4421
Registration date : 2009-07-01
My Bait : Bread and lots of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kieran Docherty Wed May 30, 2012 7:35 am

Welcome to UKFF George, i think your question has been answeared.
Kieran Docherty
Kieran Docherty
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2010-06-16
My Bait : Boilie's Sweetcorn maggogs anything

Back to top Go down

Post by George1994 Wed May 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Brilliant, thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll be using that site a fair amount in the future thats for sure! Wink

Thanks for the fast reponse also!
George1994
George1994

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by George1994 Wed May 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Hows the perch fishing in the thames? I have a thing for big perch and would very much love to pull out a monster!

:) Cheers boys!
George1994
George1994

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Thu May 31, 2012 12:37 am

If you look hard enough you'll discover some huge Perch in the Thames. There really is no easy way to put you on the fish, but plenty of leg work and homework will get you results.
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by George1994 Thu May 31, 2012 4:06 pm

longshot wrote:If you look hard enough you'll discover some huge Perch in the Thames. There really is no easy way to put you on the fish, but plenty of leg work and homework will get you results.

I suspected as much, but thanks anyway :) Ill try fishing lures and spinners i think, ive never really tried that! Also ive recently brought an 8ft drennan spinflex 2lb test curve rod, what do you have any opinion on this rod at all?

Cheers, George.
George1994
George1994

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:37 am

George1994 wrote:
longshot wrote:If you look hard enough you'll discover some huge Perch in the Thames. There really is no easy way to put you on the fish, but plenty of leg work and homework will get you results.

I suspected as much, but thanks anyway :) Ill try fishing lures and spinners i think, ive never really tried that! Also ive recently brought an 8ft drennan spinflex 2lb test curve rod, what do you have any opinion on this rod at all?

Cheers, George.

Try livebaiting bleak in the margins for the Perch, simple lip hooking with a Drennan double hook to a 15lb trace and 12lb line will do the trick Wink
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 8009
Registration date : 2008-03-14
My Bait : Anything but savage gear shite!

Back to top Go down

Post by George1994 Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 am

Woodchucker wrote:
George1994 wrote:

Cheers, George.

Try livebaiting bleak in the margins for the Perch, simple lip hooking with a Drennan double hook to a 15lb trace and 12lb line will do the trick Wink

Well as soon as the thames opens for fishing I'll give this a go and keep you as updated as I possibly can :)

Cheers for all the tips guys, really loving the forum :D

Thanks, George.
George1994
George1994

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:38 am

George1994 wrote:
Woodchucker wrote:
George1994 wrote:

Cheers, George.

Well as soon as the thames opens for fishing I'll give this a go and keep you as updated as I possibly can :)

Thanks, George.

Spinners and small plugs would be my first attack just because you can cover more water but livebaits will get you some action from Pike, Perch and Chub Wink
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 8009
Registration date : 2008-03-14
My Bait : Anything but savage gear shite!

Back to top Go down

Post by George1994 Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:49 am

Woodchucker wrote:
George1994 wrote:
Woodchucker wrote:
George1994 wrote:

Cheers, George.

Thanks, George.

Spinners and small plugs would be my first attack just because you can cover more water but livebaits will get you some action from Pike, Perch and Chub Wink

Ive never used livebait in my fishing career haha! I will give it a go as soon as I fish the thames, are there any rigs you could recommend? Ive seen a few but dont know what works efficiently?

Cheers, George.
George1994
George1994

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:54 am

Paternostered live baits will do the job, small bleak, Gudgeon, Roach etc are all good baits. Because the Thames has a good head of Pike and quite a few Zander a wire trace is advisable when Perch fishing. The predator anglers on here will know better than I as to exactly how to set the rig up, so perhaps one of them will tell you.
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by George1994 Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:34 am

longshot wrote:Paternostered live baits will do the job, small bleak, Gudgeon, Roach etc are all good baits. Because the Thames has a good head of Pike and quite a few Zander a wire trace is advisable when Perch fishing. The predator anglers on here will know better than I as to exactly how to set the rig up, so perhaps one of them will tell you.

Yeah, Ive heard of Paternosed livebaiting, Ill give that a go i think. Im going to head to the tackle shop near me on saturday, buy a wire trace, the lake im going to on thursday doesnt contain pike, but when I head for the thames then it will definately be in place!

Cheers, George.
George1994
George1994

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by longshot Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:41 am

A word of warning regarding Thames fishing. The lower river has a problem with the dreaded Mitten Crab, so it's a good idea if you fish around Teddington on the tidal to keep your livebaits moving, so trotting them rather than static is perhaps better. Above the weir they are less of a problem but still present.
longshot
longshot
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by George1994 Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:52 am

longshot wrote:A word of warning regarding Thames fishing. The lower river has a problem with the dreaded Mitten Crab, so it's a good idea if you fish around Teddington on the tidal to keep your livebaits moving, so trotting them rather than static is perhaps better. Above the weir they are less of a problem but still present.

I had never even heard of this crab before, just done abit of research and they seem to be abit of a menace, thanks for the tip :)

You might just have saved me from future annoyance!

Cheers, George.
George1994
George1994

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down