UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

I dont trust Floating

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I dont trust Floating

Post by Kieran Docherty on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:23 am

I have never really trusted float fishing but i know its purley because i dont know the techneque. I have watched alot of vids and read as much as i can on here so here goes. I choose my spot on the lake throw a few maggots and pellets out pop my bait out with them then regularly pop a small amount of maggots and pellets out around my floar as close as i can to the float, continue this till my float pops down for a few seconds or up then set the hook.

P.s. I will be doing this on a smaller lake for small carp just to get used to it.

Does that sound about right im using a size 12 hook on hair rig (with maggot clip) was thinking to take the hair off and just fill the hook with maggots ? also reducing the size of the hook maybe ?
Kieran Docherty
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2010-06-16
My Bait : Boilie's Sweetcorn maggogs anything

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I dont trust Floating

Post by edbeef on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 am

1st of all, set your split shot out:
clip 3/4 around your float and a 1/4 towards your hooklenth.

your float should be just peeking out the water and the waterline just above where the bright tip starts. Once the float has the correct amount of weighting on the line, clip a weight like a plumb or an SSG onto the hook and cast to where you want to fish. If the float goes under, move the float up your line and if it floats normall, move down the line until you get in on the bottom - a couple of cm either way is ok (usually go 2cm overdepth for presentation)

Now, take the plumb/SSG off the hook and chuck 6-10 maggots in and drop your float on top of the area.

keep the maggots going in every 5 minutes/couple of cast and you'll soon have the swim built up enough for them to start feeding.

That's the easy way.

If you're after silvers, use something like a 16 hook with 2 maggots on. For carp, you could use sweetcorn chucking in 3 or 4 kernals each other cast and use a thin 12/14

That's how I'd do it.

Cheers
edbeef
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male
Number of posts : 3950
Registration date : 2009-12-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kieran Docherty on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:48 am

very informative thankyou and i know about plumbing the depth but what is a good depth and do i have to fish on the bottom im thinking for the summer aswell when the fish are higher in the water ?
Kieran Docherty
Top Member
Top Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbeef on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:03 am

Start a couple of cm over and see how you get on, if you're struggling for bites, try it just off the bottom.

I always do better fishing on the bottom but if they're up in the water or if you're getting no action, try shortening the length a couple of inches.

Also, easy tip, if you're get lots of small roach and tiny bits, chuck your maggots in the same spot and cast a couple of feet beyond and you may well pick up a bigger fish just taking the outside bits.

Of course, these tips and tactics are great in the summer/autumn, I do tend to fish for pike in the winter so dunno when this method will become as effective...

It's probably the best place to start though.

One more tip, if you're finding little twiches on the float but missing the bites, or even if you're not getting anything at all, give the rod a jerk to the left or right by about a foot (dont move the float along, just jolt it) and this will pop the bait of the deck and go down again. That might just get you a bite.

Let us know how you get on mate Wink
edbeef
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kieran Docherty on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:58 am

some really good tips there mate thankyou will let you all know how it helps im thinking of doing piking next winter and not carping though summer so no doubt there will be more questions ha !
Kieran Docherty
Top Member
Top Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by edbeef on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:04 am

In the summer, float fishing for carp on commercials, got to try the bagging waggler or the pellet feeder methods.

Sure there's a link to them on here somewhere...
edbeef
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kieran Docherty on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:54 am

thankyou mate you have been most helpfull.
Kieran Docherty
Top Member
Top Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content