UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Bloodworm and Joker

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloodworm and Joker

Post by Stotty on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:47 am

Bloodworm and Joker

I thought I would do a bit on this as it goes back to the match fishing days and my fish keeping. Live Bloodworm is a very popular live food suitable for almost all tropical and coldwater aquarium fish. It is extremely nutritious. First thing is they are not worms at all. They are midge larvae. It will eventually form a pupa and then change into a fly (with wings), which lives out of the water. Joker is very much like bloodworm... just a lot smaller also Bloodworms become non-biting midges (buzzers) and jokers turn into gnats. (yuck)

There cannot be more natural bait than bloodworm or joker as both these larvae can be found buried in the silt of slow moving waterways and lakes. Some people collect their own bloodworm and joker (often referred to as ‘scraping’) it is far easier and much safer to buy them. They are available to order from most good tackle shops and come supplied in what’s called a Match Pack. For between £8.50 and £12, depending upon the shop, you will receive plenty of joker for feeding and a good quantity of bloodworm hook baits. They will be supplied separately, wrapped in damp newspaper. They will survive like this for a couple of days no more. If you’re intending to keep the baits for some time, use an aquarium net to transfer them between buckets when changing the water.

Now hear is a top tip:

But if you want it to add to ground bait once again a good tropical fish shop can sell you a huge frozen block and then a mall bag of very large live ones. I used to mix the frozen block (dead) ones in my ground bait then fish one or two of the lives on the hook.

If you’re using the tackle shop ones always riddle the baits first, just as you would with maggots, to remove any dead or dying bait and store them separately in buckets of water

Some anglers struggle to hook bloodworm. If using the tackle shop stuff just scoop up a mass of the bait and thumb through it to find a healthy, wriggling bait. Once you’ve found one simply hold it between finger and thumb and work the hook into the bait. Aim for the dark end of the bloodworm and pass the hook through the third segment,”

It’s important to use a very fine wire hook when fishing with bloodworm as the baits are prone to bursting.

A decent stamp of roach can quite easily be caught on bloodworm, (one of the best winter roach baits but bream and perch will all show if they are in your swim and carp just love them so hold tight..
There are several reasons it’s banned on fisheries the simple one is
Bloodworm is an expensive bait, and not available readily to all! It tends to be the sponsored anglers who use it every week who tend to get first pickings of it from the guy that scrapes it!! Bloodworm is hard to collect so is expensive and plus the guy only has so much. So because not everyone can get hold of it, in the organizers eyes it’s fair to ban it! The next is the mosquito prefers to lay its eggs in Stillwater, the midge prefers running water Bloodworm and joker both prefer slightly polluted water in which to breed (an ideal place to find joker is downstream of a sewage treatment plant for instance) so therefore the source of the bait is possibly a cause of concern.
Since the majority of the commercially available bait is now sourced from Europe that's another cause of possible contamination.
BUT the risk is minute - the bait is cleaned and packed in peat before shipment and then normally repacked before the tackle shop sells it to the angler. Any pollutants will be at such small concentrations by this point as to be insignificant.
I hope this has given you an insight into this bait and worth a go (if you’re allowed)

Last edited by Stotty on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloodworm and Joker

Post by tackle tart on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:04 am

very good post stotty reps left

tackle tart
A Top UKFF Member !
A Top UKFF Member !

Male
Number of posts : 1601
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by blower on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:09 am

it was the top bait in the canal matches a fair few years back, but as you say there's an unfair advantage to using bloodworm. ive seen what you can catch on this bait and it out fishies any other bait ive seen. ive often thought about using it on one of my canals in the winter when the going is hard its just you get so much bait it would be hard to store for the next trip. if it was cheaper it wouldn't be so bad. nice post stotty.
blower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Male
Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2009-06-07
My Bait : this season i will mostly be using MAGGOTS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by craigpix2000 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:17 am

good post stotty i used to use the frozen stuff for groundbait much easier to pick up at last minuite otherwise had to order lost count of the times the delivery was late :evil: so just stuck to the frozen with caster fished over top allways produced on noddy sessions Wink
craigpix2000
chief recruiter (AKA kitkat king)
chief recruiter (AKA kitkat king)

Male
Number of posts : 2149
Registration date : 2008-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dando on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:15 am

nice one stotty, i've used the aquariums frozen stuff in my ground bait in the past very effective

UK BASED FISHING FORUM FOR ANGLERS WHO ENJOY A BIT OF ANGLING BANTER
Dando
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 4234
Registration date : 2008-03-03
My Bait : CC Moores & Sticky Baits

View user profile http://ukfishingforums.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blower on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:17 am

so how much is the frozen stuff for the aquarium
blower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Male
Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2009-06-07
My Bait : this season i will mostly be using MAGGOTS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 am

blower wrote:so how much is the frozen stuff for the aquarium

you can get 3kg of Frozen Bloodworm £20

Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sardarel on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:57 am

I have used the fresh stuff and the frozen .. and on the right lake... it can give you an edge... ok and expensive edge... but it can

10lb Bream...
20lb Pike...
30lb Carp...

to meet as many new members of this place and enjoy everyones tales of all things fishy
sardarel
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 4450
Registration date : 2008-11-17
My Bait : anything TURKISH...!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content