UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF
UK Fishing Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zander Bait's and presantation

+4
Woodchucker
noodle
tackle tart
Dando
8 posters

Go down

Zander Bait's and presantation Empty Zander Bait's and presantation

Post by Dando Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:48 am

Now i'm not a Zander angler by any means i've caught 1 in my life time so far which was in spain and it weighed about 1lb or so, so i know that Zander prefer fresh water dead baits/live more so than sea baits so my question(s) are ...

:: What do Zander prefer to eat ? ie roach, bream, small tench & carp

:: What's the best way to present a Zander bait dead and live ?

:: Where are Zanders holding point's ? can you find them in the same sort of areas as pike i'e features such as reeds under hanging trees ?

I'm just curious and i know this will make a good thread and may even come as some use to some pred anglers.

Last edited by DanDanUK on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Dando
Dando
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 4234
Registration date : 2008-03-03
My Bait : CC Moores & Sticky Baits

https://ukfishingforums.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Zander Bait's and presantation Empty Re: Zander Bait's and presantation

Post by tackle tart Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:30 pm

there are several different presentations and this can be indicated by either using float or electronic bite indicators ,but because most of my zedding is done at night or after dark i,ll wil try to illustrate static set ups .
none of the rigs have had hook sizes specified but i would reccommend either size 8,s or 10,s but 8,s would be my first choice as i normaly would use 10,s when the zeds are a bit spooky of been caught a few times .
now the first picture shows some of the floats i use during day sessions i like bottom attaching floats for quick change my first choice on floats would be the pencil float unloaded this is for less resistance and secondly if fished on a snap link i can quickly change for night time fishing i have all my set up like this for quick change for day time to night time fishing .
but there are times when i,m fishing lives i like to use inline floats

SUNKEN FLOAT PATERNOSTER

there are a few variation on paternosters but i only use three paternoster types ,
i will use this set up if i,m live baiting the good thing with this the length of the line from float to lead can be varied to suit if you want to fish up in the water but it does have its limits as to how long the drop between lead and flaot are as it will be hard to cast out.
i,ve found two to three foot length has given me the best result now if i,m going to used dead baits on this rig i just remove the sunken float and fish it as a ledger paternoster again this work well for less resistance .

FIXED PATERNOSTER
My all time favourite rig fished solely on long static fishing sessions i,ve never had problems with any tangling and on long night sessions fishing static this rigs give you confidence that nothing is tangles.
Although its a fixed rig and with zedding you would think that this rig would not work to well but surprisingly it works very well and all takes are just steady and there is no messing about with it .
I think this rigs works well cause it keeps the bait in the natural upright positions and when the zeds take it they don,t feel there is anything wrong with it .
.As you can see the weak lead link (6lb ) is ties off the second treble also this rigs can be fished as various depth by lengthening or shortening the lead link .

SIMPLE RUNNING RIG
i use this for most dead baits and can be very deadly in the right conditions i mainly use this when leap frogging which allow me to cover a lot of water i on these session i use either deads or lives

now above was a simple ledger rig now when i find zander are being finicky or there is a bit of bottom weed or debris. i use the same rig but i change to a 6"or a 12" bouyant stem from fox .the stems gives me less resistance as the bouyant stem keeps the line up away from bottom debris .

there are other variation and situation that will call for different set ups but i think these above set ups cover alot of the zander angling situation and are all good to have in your armoury when fishing at night .

TRACE WIRE
there are loads of different trace wires on the marketand i,ve used most my favourite by far was wonder wire by a company called callibre but they no longer exist sadly .
so the two wires i now use nearly exclusively is fox carbo flex and pro logics savage both very good and i can,t find any faults with them.

INDICATION
now on the drains i will use my indicators but as the drains are normally not moving i use bobbins, one draw back using them is when its windy the use of bobbin can give you false indication so in extreme cases if it gets too windy i then will change to drop offs as the last resort .
also i like the fact that as they are light and i feel that i get less resistance .although the more i,ve fished for zander the more the resistance factor doesn,t bother me so much like it used to .
but having said that some times zander can be very finicky or mess with the bait and this is where bobbins work well in my opinion as they will register these bites even if its a couple of bleeps unlike with drop offs , where as with drop off indicators you might get just the line pull tight and the tip just gently bends before its dropped and you would not probably have seen it unless you were watching your rod tip at that moment and saw the tip gently pull round ,under most circumstances they will pull it out of the clip no problems .
this is an extreme case so my advice is use what you are happy using whether its bobbins or drop offs and don,t get to bothered on the resistance factor from the zander this is a common misconception and are normally associated with anglers who haven,t fished for the species very long .
if i,m fishing when the drains are moving i tend to change over to my drop off indicators these are good because they can be set with the front clip so the flow of the water does not pull them out or set off your bite indicators like bobbins would as the flow would drag on the line and the bobbin will be pulled up giving you false indications .
you can buy drop off indicators with a counter weight on the stem of the drop off for really heavy flows .
so it really a matter or choice what to use bobbins or drop off ?

[/img]
but if i,m on a day time fishing session and adopting a leap frogging tactic for the day i will use floats and do away with carrying indicator and bank sticks and just lay the rods down as there no need to carry to much gear as you will be walking some distance and more gear will just tire you out quicker also it a good point to walk as far away from the car as possible and leap frog back to the car this way at the end of your session when you are tired you will not have far to go .

WHERE TO FISH
as to where to fish the margins are going to be the best bet especially under over hanging trees if you can find gulleys or underlating bottoms where the zeds can lay up out of the main flow they will be good ,as well any structures or area that attracts bait fish .
bends are also worth a look and on some fen drains they are good hot spots ,
also collasped banks these are worth investigating to .
it might pay to read through the thread entiled : featureless fens as it might give you some other features for you to go and investigate on your givien water

also follow match reports and finding area,s where bream shoals are the zander will not be to far away from the bream shoals .
this 12lb zander came during the day after locating a shoal of bream (as its my favourite piture to i don,t mind seeing it again )

now as i mentioned bream shoals this is why i think they follow the bream,
cause the bream stir up the bottom making the water cloudy and zander like cloudy condition to sneak up and attack there prey although bream are to big , the small fish feeding amongst them aren,t and this is what the zander are after.
another thing is where pleasure anglers have introduce ground bait for bream these would certainly be area,s i would target on the fens and it would probably be wise to think where bream anglers fish .

WHEN
when to go changes through the season well i don,t go zedding durring the summer months but june to august i would expect that feeding will be during the hours of darkness.
from september the feeding times would start to be longer longer .then from october with late autumn and duller day there,s a good chance of day time zeds
i,ve found from november through to the mid february that dusk was the optimum feeding time but any time during the hours of darkeness will be potentially good but there will be periods of no action till just before first light but i,ve caught the odd fish through the night ,but these are my own findings and it could be completely different on the waters you might fish but its good to have a guide line to start with and if you get it right fish like this 11lb 10oz specimen can be had

also its worth noting that all waters vary in depths and widths so temperture changes have to be considered as a shallow water will warm or cool differently to a deeper water and this will effect feeding times on each water you fish so as i said earlier use it as a guide

BAIT
firstly keep to coarse baits roach, rudd .bream crucians and eels ECT ECT as you will definately limit your chances of catching on sea baits but some will debate the use of sea baits and yes zeds have been caught on them but not enough to warrant using them . .
now you can buy baits in packs like the ones below so i have a couple of frozen packs for when i run out of my individualy rapped fresh ones

i prefer to catch my baits and kill a few an wrap then indiviually this way i only take what i need for a session so i don,t waste baits ,i rap them up in cling film individualy like this pic below

although i said earlier i don,t use sea baits i will use lamprey and this is very good in late autunm in my opinion.
now some baits are better used as lives and are about useless when fished dead (example bream ) but roach are the most commonly used and are good as lives or deads a good live bait i,ve found are gudgeons and i,ve had some good fish on them in the past .
as to size well again its an idivuals choice personally i like my baits to be about 4"to 6" or 2oz to 4oz class .
some use bait up to 8oz but i personally think they are to big but there results show that they do catch some very good zeds but again this is going to be what you feel comfortable with .
LURES
another thing to have with you on any zander session is to have a selection of lure i,m nowhere near any good with lures but i am working slowly towards being able to use this technique with some level of success

Last edited by tackle tart on Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 am; edited 33 times in total

tackle tart
A Top UKFF Member !
A Top UKFF Member !

Male
Number of posts : 1601
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:32 pm

DanDanUK wrote:Now i'm not a Zander angler by any means i've caught 1 in my life time so far which was in spain and it weighed about 1lb or so, so i know that Zander prefer fresh water dead baits/live more so than sea baits so my question(s) are ...

:: What do Zander prefer to eat ? ie roach, bream, small tench & carp at a guess whats in front of em but roach will be easiest to use

:: What's the best way to present a Zander bait dead and live ? id guess on the deck with as little resistance as possible

:: Where are Zanders holding point's ? can you find them in the same sort of areas as pike i'e features such as reeds under hanging trees ? now here id be looking for deeper water then i would for pike as they 'prefer' dark or colouredd water something to do with the eyes

I'm just curious and i know this will make a good thread and may even come as some use to some pred anglers

now for the mainand most important bit ive never fished for the things, let alone seen one on the bank, i am interseted to see what some of the experienced zander freaks say though, as apparently there is a small pocket of them near me now
noodle
noodle
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-24
My Bait : bit of painted wood

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Its write ups like that which keeps this forum great, well done Kev Respect
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 8009
Registration date : 2008-03-14
My Bait : Anything but savage gear shite!

Back to top Go down

Post by NIDGE MAC Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:39 am

Applaud good write up kev, a few more ideas for me to try out Wink some of the rigs are the same as what i use, and i like to make my own traces too the cost of them comes right down when you make quite a few up................ Twisted Evil
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 7362
Registration date : 2008-03-15
My Bait : GETTING OUT IF AND WHEN POSSIBLE...

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:31 am

A great write up Kevin. On the lure front all the Zanders I have caught have been on lures. The best I have found after some extensive testing are small rubber ones I did very well on rubber twin tails.

Zander Bait's and presantation Smallttg
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

Back to top Go down

Post by Dando Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:21 am

As everyone has pointed out a very good write up think i'm going to make it a sticky
Dando
Dando
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 4234
Registration date : 2008-03-03
My Bait : CC Moores & Sticky Baits

https://ukfishingforums.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:13 pm

Kev I have just been looking at your fixed pato rig and I have a couple of questions scratch

1) Why have a stop bead?

2) And why do you tie the weak link to the trace?
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tackle tart Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:44 pm

the reason it got a stop bead is that all my up traces are universal so if i,m not using it on a pato rig it can be used on a running rig it just making changing tactics easier has no relevance on the pato rig its part of the uptrace

Last edited by tackle tart on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:00 am; edited 2 times in total

tackle tart
A Top UKFF Member !
A Top UKFF Member !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Kev Wink what sort of weight are on the weak link Kev? does it depend on the size of the live bait or the size of the sunken float?
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tackle tart Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:02 pm

i normally use a 2oz as standard

Last edited by tackle tart on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total

tackle tart
A Top UKFF Member !
A Top UKFF Member !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:04 pm

That makes sence Wink
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roaminrivers Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Thats the nuts of a read & info ! Excellent ! Cheers !
roaminrivers
roaminrivers
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2010-02-25
My Bait : Getting less fishy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stotty Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

isn't a bad old site is it Lee Wink
Stotty
Stotty
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 12673
My Bait : get on the bait Zone

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave The Rave Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:38 pm

jammed with info there isnt another site like it.
Dave The Rave
Dave The Rave
Die Hard UKFF Angler !
Die Hard UKFF Angler !

Male
Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2009-10-04
My Bait : DNA Baits

Back to top Go down

Post by Dando Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 am

drunken