UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Fishing Forums
If you haven't posted today why not log in and let us know what you've been up to

or if you are new to the site

Where friendly and welcoming

Thanks for reading and

Welcome to UKFF
UK Fishing Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help with piking

+6
Andy Macfarlane
Dannyp69r
noodle
nixon
ryan
NICHO
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

help with piking Empty help with piking

Post by NICHO Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi right guys this is my tale ,off to norfolk at xmas and hope to do a bit of river fishing and piking :Fishing: but have just got back into fishing since beginning of last year,and have only been knockin about on the carp puddles ,building up tackle and brushing up on methods etc. so now have got back into the swing of things ,would like to get out on rivers ,and especially learn a thing or two about the old piking scene.any help much appreciated have just bought a rod hope it will be ok for piking ,just need to know weather other stuff i have will do , or if i need anything in particular to get me going Wink thanks lads
NICHO
NICHO
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

help with piking Empty Re: help with piking

Post by ryan Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:27 pm

what tackle are you using at the moment Question
ryan
ryan
BANNED MEMBER
BANNED MEMBER

Male
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by nixon Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:38 pm

This will start off a good thread,as most of us on here enjoy our pike fishing.
Firstly, are you gunna lure fish,or bait fish? For lure fishing I shall step aside and let the expertees of Both Woody and Danny help you, although I do a lot of jerk bait fishing,and was the method I started on 8 years ago. Although Im not anywhere in the same league as either of those two Wink
I'll assume you'll be using a fix spool reel. Do you intend to use mono line,or the far superior braided line, which has almost no stretch whatsoever. and Is my personal choice, I use 50lb power pro for my bait fishing,and 80lb of the same brand for my lure fishing,you could go to 100lb if you wanted,and were chucking real big lures.
What test curve rod do you have? theres curently a post on here about test curves, I favour 3.25lb for my heavier bait fishing,just gives that little extra power for big baits,and distance work.
Wire traces are an essential item,I stick with fox carbo flex 40lb wire,this can either be twiddled or crimped,both methods are as good as each other,but there again I tend to favour crimps,as I feel they give that little extra strength,and peace of mind.
Decent trebles,semi barbless,size 6 being a good all round size,but for smaller baits you can use size 8,or a smaller bait theres size 4.
You'll want a decent size net, a 42" will be perfect,even if your confident in chinning them or not,they're indespencible for the times when you dont want to risk it.
A decent size unhooking mat,to rest the fish on for unhooking,dont be placing the fish in gravel or stony ground,as you'll run the risk of damaging the fishes scales allowing possible infection to get in,and may,result in its death.
You'll need a few tools, long nose forceps,pliers,and perhaps even side cutters/good strong snips for the odd occasion when you cannot get the hooks out,and you have to cut the shank to remove it without hurting the fish.
I dont suggest you use a glove for the handling of pike,if your not confident in handling a pike then get someone to show you properly,untill you get the hang,and once you do,there'll be very minimal risk of harm to yourself,perhaps only "raker rash",which then brings me to plasters,I always carry a pack in my bag,for if you get scratched or at worse bitten,then you'll bleed quite a lot,and for quite some time :evil:
You may want to invest in an alarm for bit indication if you dont already own one, I use back bite alarms which show both, drop back bites (when the swims towards you) aswell as normal runs.
Here's one of the one I use: http://billysbackbiters.blogspot.com/
You'll need bank sticks,or a rod rod,I prefer the rod rest/bank stick approach.
You may want to get a set of scales and a weigh sling,some un-hooking mats double up to do this.
Also a camera will prove invaluable,cos you can bet your ar5e the day you go out without one,will be the day you land a specimin. Wink
Keep things as simple as you can,there's no need for technical rigs,And if your out to buy new tackle,get the best you can afford at the time,it will pay dividends in the long-run Wink

For a far more indepth reference guide,I highly reccomend the "fox guide to modern pike fishing" an indespencible book for any pike angler.
The lads will add to this,and we'll soon have you well on your way to getting back to fishing.
Cheers matey
Cheers

I undoubtedly have missed something out here,as at the current moment in time I am taking rather strong pain killers for my back,and am a little spaced out.
Hope this is of some help.

Also have a look at this for lure fishing hints tips and advice from Woody:

https://ukfishingforums.darkbb.com/predator-fishing-f9/woodchuckers-guide-to-lure-fishing-t69.htm?highlight=woodys+guide+to+lure+fishing

Cheers

Last edited by nixon on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
nixon
nixon
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 4976
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by noodle Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:59 pm

where are you based?
noodle
noodle
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2008-03-24
My Bait : bit of painted wood

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyp69r Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:47 am

foookin hel Tim...... u went to town on that one mate well done! lol! saved me the job ha ha
yeh all i can say mate is keep it simple!! id advise braided line for ya lure fishing and ya normal 15lb mono for ya bait work, ya carping Gay Boy rods will b fine for that.
lure wise its endless...... venue? style? weather? but a 6-7ft medium rod and 30lb braid will cover your general stuff!! if ya want to jerkbait well thats a bit more advanced
just keep it simple......
any more questions feel free to ask me or PM me on here
cheers

Danny
Dannyp69r
Dannyp69r
Top Member
Top Member

Male
Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2008-07-13

http://www.lurefishingwithdanny.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nixon Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:49 am

Yeah, I thought I'd get a head start before the pro's came on lol!
I try to be as helpful as I can,especially when I cant actually get out and fish myself,bummer huh scratch
nixon
nixon
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Macfarlane Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:11 pm

removed

Last edited by Andy Macfarlane on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by NIDGE MAC Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:29 pm

Sup good info that andy,,,,,

help with piking 9lbpoocity

help with piking Johnboy

i love pike..........
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 7362
My Bait : GETTING OUT IF AND WHEN POSSIBLE...

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Nicho, I told you the site was spot on Wink
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male
Number of posts : 8009
Registration date : 2008-03-14
My Bait : Anything but savage gear shite!

Back to top Go down

Post by NIDGE MAC Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:12 pm

oh i like the carp fishing aswell....................

help with piking 18lbcarp

Wink Wink Wink Wink
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NICHO Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:34 pm

WOW ! what a response ,massive thanks guys ,can't remember all the answers to your questions but il have a go, i live in pudsey just outside leeds,am using a normark commercial carp rod , but have just bought a shakespeare ugly stik spinning rod , hope this will do the job ,as for reels have a couple of baitrunners ,but just bought shimano twinpower ,am looking for any suggestions if theres a reel that would be better suited to the ugly stik,like i say am doing alot of fishing on commercials at moment hence tackle choices ,i do have some traces ,a few lures and a couple of triple hook trace things?,think there what you use when your hooking baits on ? just what i seen on telly,lol.also have plenty of bank sticks etc. and a set of forceps ,not sure there big enough though ,wiil get some bigger .think thats covered it ? so if anyone local fancies a gilly,and a few pints for a day out somewhere just to watch out for us ,so none of these monsters claim any of my fingers send us a pm ,and thanks once again boys really appreciate your time Respect
NICHO
NICHO
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NIDGE MAC Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:36 pm

just down the rosd from me mate.......... and theres a nice piking place i could show you near me..............
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NICHO Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:45 pm

cheers woody can't believe response in less than 24 hours ,fantastic,alot more help than other forum,you know which one ,although stiil a good forum!.but thanks again mate .nidgemac would be great to meet up for a days tutorial ,lol .will definatley a few beers in it ,shall i pm you when i'm free ,got a bit on at moment might be a few weeks ,is that ok? thanks again boys
NICHO
NICHO
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyp69r Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:25 pm

NICHO wrote:WOW ! what a response ,massive thanks guys ,can't remember all the answers to your questions but il have a go, i live in pudsey just outside leeds,am using a normark commercial carp rod , but have just bought a shakespeare ugly stik spinning rod , hope this will do the job ,as for reels have a couple of baitrunners ,but just bought shimano twinpower ,am looking for any suggestions if theres a reel that would be better suited to the ugly stik,like i say am doing alot of fishing on commercials at moment hence tackle choices ,i do have some traces ,a few lures and a couple of triple hook trace things?,think there what you use when your hooking baits on ? just what i seen on telly,lol.also have plenty of bank sticks etc. and a set of forceps ,not sure there big enough though ,wiil get some bigger .think thats covered it ? so if anyone local fancies a gilly,and a few pints for a day out somewhere just to watch out for us ,so none of these monsters claim any of my fingers send us a pm ,and thanks once again boys really appreciate your time Respect

hope all the help on here helps, leav a report if you get out!! and yeh your twin power is fine for the job, its a stunnin reels and allot better than most of the stuff out today
dont 4get piccys please!
speak soon
Danny
Dannyp69r
Dannyp69r
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyp69r Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:28 pm

and thanks to Tim and Andy for the good handy replys to this thread....
more than enough info for a newby
your in good hands on my pred section mate so dont worry, feel free to ask me or any of the others 4 Pred help.
Danny
Dannyp69r
Dannyp69r
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NICHO Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Wink cheers danny ,another top bloke will keep you all posted on first trip ,think nigdemac gonna show me some tricks or two, another top bloke ,massive thanks again to all Wink
NICHO
NICHO
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nixon Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:42 am

Our pleasure,I'd go as far as saying we're possibly THE friendliest forum on the net, Where can a guy or girl post a question,and virtually get an immidiate reply....
There's pretty much always someone on here during the day,so any problems or queries,get it posted and we'll help you out.
As I cant get out and fish at the moment,I'll be as helpful with info as much as I can.
Hopefully this coming autumn/winter will produce some great fishing and even a few personal bests Wink
Tight lines to all Fish Fishing 2
nixon
nixon
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:25 am

NICHO wrote:Wink cheers danny ,another top bloke will keep you all posted on first trip ,think nigdemac gonna show me some tricks or two, another top bloke ,massive thanks again to all Wink

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Only joking Nidge, we need a social at poo city, not been since the pb Yup
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dando Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:35 am

Woodchucker wrote:
NICHO wrote:Wink cheers danny ,another top bloke will keep you all posted on first trip ,think nigdemac gonna show me some tricks or two, another top bloke ,massive thanks again to all Wink

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Only joking Nidge, we need a social at poo city, not been since the pb Yup
yeah i was actually thinking that myself, only piking i've done this year was when the species hunt was on !

Oh welcome to the site Nicho your not too far from me either i'm in Armley ! i think we need to get together at Poo city for a pike sesh ! i'm sure Nicho would learn alot from a number of us !
Dando
Dando
Site Gaffer !
Site Gaffer !

Male
Number of posts : 4234
Registration date : 2008-03-03
My Bait : CC Moores & Sticky Baits

https://ukfishingforums.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NIDGE MAC Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:43 pm

lets make it happen then, get the new members on board aswell, it all adds to the positive out going and friendly feedback for our site, word of mouth is great for getting them talking around the fishing circles.......... Twisted Evil
NIDGE MAC
NIDGE MAC
UKFF Moderator
UKFF Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:01 pm

Twisted Evil
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NICHO Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:17 pm

yeah brilliant idea that ,keep us posted on a date when we can have a jolly boys outing piking,oh by the way already spread the word ,a guy on other forum ,we all know which one ,in same boat as me told him to get on here asap Wink cheers again boys
NICHO
NICHO
Top Member
Top Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Macfarlane Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:56 am

A jolly boys outing? Gay Boy Who's jolly and why are you outing him? Gay Boy

This place is very worrying. scratch
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodchucker Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:58 pm

LOL LOL
Woodchucker
Woodchucker
Global Mod
Global Mod

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyp69r Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:09 pm

todd loves jolly boys Gay Boy
Dannyp69r
Dannyp69r
Top Member
Top Member

Male